Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Many thanks to Crawdad for designing a new header for this blog. It may be tweaked a bit in the future, but it's already such an improvement that I decided to go ahead and use it.

While I'm updating the header, I have a small problem that I was hoping my readers could help me with. The Solzhenitzyn quote above is attested several places on the always trustworthy and factually accurate internet, but this variant also appears:

If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?

When sources are cited, both quotes are attributed to The Gulag Archipelago, which I unfortunately don't own. Did he write them both, or is one of them made up? Note that all the quote sites I've been to list one or the other, but not both. If they're both accurate, which should I use?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the new logo.

Maybe it's a "translation" error. Or better yet, perhaps they are both his quotes from different versions/revisions of the same book.

Anonymous said...

Although longer, I feel that the second quote is (for lack of a better word) cooler. If you have to choose between two possibly wrong realities I'd opt for the second.