Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Edge question for 2008 is up. They ask people what they've changed their mind about, which is a great question.

My favorite responses are from Stewart Brand, who says that they don't make stuff like they used to, which is a good thing, and Sherry Turkle who says - well, just read hers, it's good.

The theme I've caught this year is a certain disillusionment with science. Rebecca Goldstein argues that falsifiability is not that important, and Irene Pepperberg is against hypothesis testing. With just those two, the scientific method is crumbling. Add in two shocking realizations, one from Colin Tudge who no longer thinks science is omnipotent and the other from Ken Ford who has figured out that sometimes scientists do bad things. Also in this category is Karl Sabbagh, who doubts the value of expert opinion, and Rupert Sheldrake, who makes the broader and valuable point that skepticism is never from a neutral point of view, and is never an unqualified good thing.

I appreciate the people who make a focused point rather than a broad philosophical statement. Unfortunately, these people are relatively few. Lisa Randall talks about neutrino mixing, and Helena Cronin discusses how differences in variance rather than in mean explain the over representation of men in the sciences.

Keith Devlin argues that math is socially constructed rather than some manifestation of absolute truth; I agree, of course. Finally, we have Daniel Gilbert, who says being able to change your mind is maybe not a good thing, and makes a connection to love and romance.

3 comments:

Theo V. said...

That was a really cool link.

I second the idea on the notion that mathematics is socially constructed.

I've changed my mind about the most effective way to change laws in a country. I used to think it was by electing officials that were of a certain stance. Those officials would change the laws by convincing other officials.

But now I think that the laws and rule of a country are a reflection of the people and the culture. Thus to change laws you really have to change the people from the ground up.

But what I really want to know is what have you changed your mind about this year Mr. Nerzhin?

andrew said...

Good question, Theo. Following my own advice two thirds of the way, I'll offer two focused things related to my expertise that I've changed my mind about in 2007, then a less focused rant.

1. The finite element method is not the best, and maybe not even a very good, way to numerically solve partial differential equations. I used to think it was the only game in town, but now, even though I use the FEM, I think the future is elsewhere.

2. Parallel programming is actually different. I used to think that compilers would eventually be able to take advantage of multi-core, multi-chip architectures on computers, now I think programmers actually need to be retrained to some extent.

3. Local politics is more important than national. This is related (not exactly, but a little bit) to what Theo says about changing from the ground up. There's really no point of me sitting in Boulder reading minute-by-minute updates on the Iowa caucuses. It would be a better use of my time to go to a city council meeting.

David McIntyre said...

I really liked about half of those.


I've changed my mind about weather or not to eat zucchini, and after reading a couple of those essays I'm glad I don't have to hang out with philosophers.