Wednesday, August 17, 2011

P. J. O'Rourke starts with this fun sentence:

What is admired as whimsy could be awful as fact — real slithy toves in an actual wabe.
His article is about the architecture of Antoni Gaudí, and I found it pretty interesting, but probably mostly because I saw all the stuff he talks about pretty recently.

If a Gothic cathedral is (as some have said, misapplying their Shakespeare) a sermon in stone, then La Sagrada Família is a sermon in broccoli.
Somehow that sentence is a compliment. And one I agree with - I am no expert on architecture, but Sagrada Familia is the most astonishing building I've ever seen.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I agree fully.

Garry Barker said...

It is the most amazing building I have ever seen and I just saw the outside. Whimsical is not the right word, of course, I would say delightfully surprising, and organically alive. O'rourke's prose in this piece has been infected by this wonder and awe. Reading the piece I want to go back and see theses places again, even his park benches delight.