Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Feeling guilty about the carbon footprint of that apple that came from New Zealand? You'd feel better if it was shipped by sail:

He said CTMV had chartered five sailing ships to transport products such as Fairtrade coffee, jam and alcoholic drinks. “We are 5 per cent more expensive than standard merchant shipping companies at the moment. But we are going to build our own ships and when they enter service, we will be cheaper.”

As far as I can tell this is not a joke.

3 comments:

Theo V. said...

Dude I love sailing! It appears that now there may be some money to be made in one of my favorite hobbies :-)

But I think you summarize it fairly well, "As far as I can tell this is not a joke".

I'm having a good laugh over here :-)

Theo V. said...

it get's even better, "His initiative comes with the French Association of Shipowners predicting that wind-powered vessels could capture 0.5 per cent of the commercial shipping market, which transports 90 per cent of the world's traded goods."

I hadn't realized that a whopping 0.5% of the shipping industry was at stake! (though it's probably overall a decent bit of money)

Anonymous said...

This article doesn't mention New Zealand but is nevertheless terribly fascinating.

David S.