Saturday, May 15, 2010

Conor Friedersdorf interviews Matthew Yglesias on urban planning. Maybe surprisingly, I agree with almost all of it:

I'm against government-subsidized parking and government-mandated parking. I'm a liberal -- I believe in subsidies for public goods and in regulations to curb harmful externalities, but neither of those things exist when it comes to parking. If anything, it's the reverse -- cheap parking causes environmental hazards and traffic jams. I would let people build as much or as little parking as they feel they can profitably sell to people.
That's good enough, but later on there's this:

Uncontrolled streets. Scrap the traffic lights and stop signs and paint, scrap the sidewalks and the bike lanes, just let people pay attention and try to pilot themselves or their vehicles safely.
Where have I heard this "shared space" idea before? Maybe here. Or here or here or here.

1 comment:

likeincense said...

'uncontrolled streets' makes me think of recent experiences in Port-au-Prince. There may be some advantages to a little bit of control. On the other hand, we didn't see any accidents, not even one car scraping against another, and there were motor-powered vehicles, pushcarts, school kids, street vendors, pigs, etc. in the road.