Thursday, November 29, 2007

It's not about talent, it's about hard work:

Attributing poor performance to a lack of ability depresses motivation more than does the belief that lack of effort is to blame. In 1972, when I taught a group of elementary and middle school children who displayed helpless behavior in school that a lack of effort (rather than lack of ability) led to their mistakes on math problems, the kids learned to keep trying when the problems got tough. They also solved many of the problems even in the face of difficulty. Another group of helpless children who were simply rewarded for their success on easy problems did not improve their ability to solve hard math problems. These experiments were an early indication that a focus on effort can help resolve helplessness and engender success.

This has certainly been true for whatever academic success I've had. I've never felt innately good at math, just willing to put in the time to learn about it. It's fascinating, and hopeful, that this attitude might help with relationships as well:

Mind-set can affect the quality and longevity of personal relationships as well, through people’s willingness—or unwillingness—to deal with difficulties. Those with a fixed mind-set are less likely than those with a growth mind-set to broach problems in their relationships and to try to solve them, according to a 2006 study I conducted with psychologist Lara Kammrath of Wilfrid Laurier University in Ontario. After all, if you think that human personality traits are more or less fixed, relationship repair seems largely futile. Individuals who believe people can change and grow, however, are more confident that confronting concerns in their relationships will lead to resolutions.

3 comments:

Ian said...

This could explain the cultural reasons why we get outperformed in many areas by other countries. However, we need to teach people how to study. I had to learn how to study somewhat in high school and more in college. No one told me how to and it would always take a few bad grades for me to realize I didn't actually just get something from sitting in class. Maybe sometimes I should have done the hw or paid closer attention. Sill I had a teacher who I can't remember but I pissed her off to no end by not doing hw and still getting A's in the class. We need to both teach study skills and challenge the inately smart so they don't get off too easy. In the end though a combination of desire and inate ability will take people the farthest but being "smart" isn't going to get anyone without motivation anywhere.

Anonymous said...

I've mentioned this to some of the teachers with which I work (I believe you posted once on the subject before). This spurs interests on a personal level as well. I look back with regret on how much I slacked off in high school because I had people tell me I was smart.

Theo V. said...

working hard is hard work though...